Grand Harmony Chorus is seeking a Director who will provide engaging rehearsals and mentorship, supporting us as we continue to improve our Barbershop music skills. A team-first mentality along with excellent communication skills are the keys to our success. The person in this position will be responsible for developing and leading musical and artistic performances in collaboration with our existing leadership group.
What are we looking for in a Director?
The Director will be a creative and musically skilled leader who is well-organized, dependable, and possesses the ability to grow and shape performance and vocal capabilities of the Chorus. The ideal candidate has:
- Prior directing experience, or similar educational study
- Experience with barbershop, either from participating in a quartet or with a chorus
- Solid understanding of vocal pedagogy and the ability to provide instruction and feedback in this area to a large group effectively
- A detail-oriented mindset and ability to communicate complicated artistic concepts effectively and consistently
- Strong desire to advance the chorus competitively within Sweet Adelines International and the a cappella community at large
- A desire to help the chorus to reach our full potential, through exceptional performance, ambitious competition, and visibility within our community
- The ability and passion to foster and develop a talented and effective Music Team
- Poise and ease in speaking to best represent our organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to encourage respectful cooperation among chorus members
What will the Director be responsible for?
The Director’s musical knowledge and directorial skills greatly influence the growth and the quality of Grand Harmony's musical program. Responsibilities include:
- Developing a yearly musical vision with goals for the chorus in consultation with the Music Team and the Management Team.
- Selecting repertoire in collaboration with the Music Team.
- Planning and executing weekly chorus rehearsals, based on a four-month calendar developed with the Music Team
- Inspiring and directing the chorus in rehearsals, performances, shows and competitions
- Managing the repertoire learning process and developing interpretation plans for new and existing repertoire
- Developing a direction plan for all public performances and a Directors Plan
- Establishing and attending all Music Team meetings and Management Team meetings
- Collaborating with the Music Team on audition protocols, as well as overseeing the process and arrangements for chorus coaching and education
- Evaluating and working with individual voices in the chorus annually, along with the Music Team, through PVIs (Personal Voice Instruction)
- Utilizing the talents and skills of all members of GHC to continuously bring the chorus to new level
Please email your cover letter, resume/CV including 2 references from musical experiences to: [email protected]
This is a paid, part-time position with reimbursement for travel.
The current rehearsal time takes place on Tuesday evenings from 7:00 - 10:00. This rehearsal day and time can be negotiated if required.
|director search 2023 r-11-24.pdf||804.43 KB|