Grand Harmony Chorus is an award-winning women’s a cappella chorus. We’ve won medals singing on stages across Kitchener-Waterloo to Michigan and beyond. Our Regional Competition takes place in Dearborn, Michigan each Spring. We took 2nd in our division & overall at the Spring 2018 competition.
The ideal Grand Harmony Singer:
You have a great voice who wants to learn how to sing a cappella in four part harmony.
You probably love Pitch Perfect, Pentatonix and/or musical theatre.
You miss show choir or college/church choir or are looking for a thriving music community to belong to.
You love the challenge of performing, competing and putting on theatrical productions.
Your crazy matches our crazy.
CURRENTLY AUDITIONING FOR:
In preparation for our Christmas production, upcoming performances schedule, and to begin working toward Spring Contest and our Spring Show, Grand Harmony Chorus is hosting auditions for talented singers that want to join us, find their voice and perform with us!
- All parts (bass, baritone, lead and tenor).
- Women of all ages.
Tues, Sept 25th - 6pm to 7pm - Click here to book your audition!
Parkwood Mennonite Home, 726 New Hampshire St. (click for map)
HOW AUDITIONS WORK:
Performers will audition in a stress-free, fun environment, and in traditional solo format.
To audition, you can sing us a song of your choosing in a cappella format or with a karaoke track that you bring with you. We will provide a stereo for karaoke tracks (connects via headphone jack).
Sing one to two songs of your choice that best show off your range (and preferably, also your full entire range)
If you get a callback, you will be given one of our competition songs, learning tracks, sheet music and 2-3 weeks for learning. Your second audition will be to sing this song with a quartet! Chorus members will be available to practice with you during the 2-3 between your audition and your callback date. This will help you get a feel for singing and holding your part amidst other voices.
Optional Music School Weekend: If you have received a call-back, you're welcome to join chorus members at Music School in Michigan. This takes place on the Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend this year, so don't be afraid to ask the GH team for more details if you'd like to step up your music game this fall! Not only will you learn a lot if you come, but you'll get to meet and get to know chorus members. Beware: girl time, shopping and singing may be involved :)
THE CHORUS CALENDAR AT A GLANCE:
- Practices are every Tuesdsay from 7 to 10pm in Waterloo, leading up to and after Competition.
- Regional Contest: Dearborn, Michigan on April 26th to 28th, 2018. This event is all about incredible vocals and fabulous friendships! An unforgettable experience
- 2019 Spring Show (Back to the Future)
- Hired Private Performances throughout Grand River region
- Summer practices & music learning
- Fall A Cappella Bootcamp/Workshop and/or Music School
- Quartet Opportunities (pick-up quartets, contest & performance quartets)
- Vocal workshops and PVI opportunities
- Christmas Show & Performances - November & December 2018
- Check out videos and photos on Instagram and/or Facebook!
From left to right, above: 2017 Christmas Show, 2017 Halloween Night Practice, A Rehearsal
Above: Snapshot of the GHC Instagram Page
From left to right, above: Front Row Choreo Practice, Performing at Christkindl @ Kitchener City Hall, Key of She Quartet Performing at the Christmas Show
From left to right, above: Singing!, Line-up for one GHC's shows, Serenity Quartet with substitute bass (and Director), Chris Arnold!
Regional SAI Competition Spring 2017, Michigan, USA
ADDITIONAL AUDITION & FEE DETAILS:
- Auditions are open to women across the region and beyond
- Choose an audition song that you love and that shows off your range and capabilities
- If you choose to sing against a karaoke track, be sure to have it loaded up and ready to go on your iPad, tablet or phone so that we can run it through the stereo for you.
- If you make the chorus, please note that chorus fees are $540 annually (paid either in full or broken up over the year in payments, equalling about $45 - far less than vocal lessons)
- Chorus member fees for adults (over 25) are $45/month
- Chorus member fees for youth members (25 and under) are $22.50/month
- Additional expenses over the year may apply for hotel, costume and competition, coaching weekend sessions and more (i.e. we tend to spent a lot on all things purple or sparkly!)
- Our songs are sung 'a cappella' (voices only, without accompaniment)
- We don’t hold music when we sing
- We place an emphasis on showmanship
- We always sing four part harmony, including basses, baritones, leads and tenors
- Our singing style and arrangements welcome women with lower voices as well!
- We use movement/choreography in several of our songs
- Chorus members are committed to attending rehearsals each week and make every effort to do so
- This is more of a passion than a hobby, more of a family than a chorus!
- Practices and performances will help you learn more about
- Posture and breathing
- Rhythm and tempo
- Showmanship and physical expression
- Being a chorus member means trying new things and continuously improving as a singer and performer
- You should be a ‘self starter’ - able to get things done on her own without needing constant reminding