Grand Harmony Chorus is an award-winning women’s a cappella chorus. We’ve won medals singing on stages across Kitchener-Waterloo to Michigan and beyond. Our Regional Competition takes place in Dearborn, Michigan each Spring. We took 2nd in our division at the 2017 competition.
The ideal Grand Harmony Singer:
You have a great voice who wants to learn how to sing a cappella in four part harmony.
You probably love Pitch Perfect, Pentatonix and/or musical theatre.
You miss show choir or college/church choir or are looking for a thriving music community to belong to.
You love the challenge of performing, competing and putting on theatrical productions.
Your crazy matches our crazy.
CURRENTLY AUDITIONING FOR:
No Auditions at this time.
By invitation only: email Jenn with a little bit about yourself, and we'll go from there :)
Parkwood Mennonite Home, 726 New Hampshire St. (click for map)
HOW AUDITIONS WORK:
Performers will audition in a stress-free, fun environment, and in traditional solo format.
To audition, you can sing us a song of your choosing in a cappella format or with a karaoke track that you bring with you. We will provide a stereo for karaoke tracks (connects via headphone jack).
Sing one to two songs of your choice that best show off your range (and preferably, also your full entire range)
If you get a callback, you will be given a song, learning tracks, sheet music and 2-3 weeks for learning. Your second audition will be to sing this song with a quartet!
Chorus members will be available to practice with you during the 2 weeks of music learning.
GENERAL CALENDAR OF EVENTS for CHORUS MEMBERS:
To give you an idea of what to expect from a year in the Grand Harmony Chorus family, this is our 2017 at a glance.
- January Competition Chorus Auditions
- Rehearsals - every Tuesday from 7pm to 10pm
- Sing-outs and extra music - 6pm to 6:30 (optional, subject to change)
- Music Craft classes - 6:30 to 7pm (optional, subject to change)
- Region 2 Competition: Dearborn, Michigan - April 21st to 23rd, 2017
- Spring Show (vocals, choreography, some acting!) - June 10, 2017 - The Great Canadian Road Trip!
- Summer practices & music learning
- Fall Auditions - All Ages, All Parts
- Hired Private Performances throughout the year - Mother's Day performances, workplaces, Kitchener events, other TBA
- (members perform at as many of these as possible, however it's understood the work and home life may prohibit some attendance)
- Christmas Show & Performances - November & December 2017
ADDITIONAL AUDITION & FEE DETAILS:
- Auditions are open to women across the region and beyond
- Choose an audition song that you love and that shows off your range and capabilities
- If you choose to sing against a karaoke track, be sure to have it loaded up and ready to go on your iPad, tablet or phone so that we can run it through the stereo for you.
- If you make the full chorus and are over the age of 25, please note that chorus fees are $45/month (paid annually or monthly, costing far less than vocal lessons!)
- Additional expenses over the year may apply for hotel, costume and competition, coaching weekend sessions and more (i.e. we tend to spent a lot on all things purple or sparkly!)
- Our songs are sung 'a cappella' (voices only, without accompaniment)
- We don’t hold music when we sing
- We place an emphasis on showmanship
- We always sing four part harmony, including basses, baritones, leads and tenors
- Our singing style and arrangements welcome women with lower voices as well!
- We use movement/choreography in several of our songs
- Chorus members are committed to attending rehearsals each week and make every effort to do so
- This is more of a passion than a hobby, more of a family than a chorus!
- Practices and performances will help you learn more about
- Posture and breathing
- Rhythm and tempo
- Showmanship and physical expression
- Being a chorus member means trying new things and continuously improving as a singer and performer
- You should be a ‘self starter’ - able to get things done on her own without needing constant reminding